04 June 2008

Mmmmmmm, silk

How do you teach a class on Ice Queen during summer? You invent a silky Ice Queen scarf, of course! I'll be teaching a class on Ice Queen/lace at Nine Rubies in San Mateo and Knitterly in Petaluma (yep - we put off the Knitterly class until later when I could offer a non-Mohair alternative!) this summer. And since I need to design an Ice Queen scarf, I was thinking that it would be a great way to show an abbreviated version of my design process along with tutorials.

First, the yarn.

It is Hana by Artfibers in color #7 and some kind and generous soul or other gave a ball and a half to me to try. It has been marinating in stash and is now ready to use. The first thing I did was to wind it off and check for knots. There was one in the full ball, and I undid it. So I now have two small balls and one larger ball.

Hana is pure silk, 244 yards/50 grams, and since I don't see it on the Artfibers website, I think it may be no more. Pity. It's a beautiful yarn and the color variations remind me of Hydrangeas. Since Jocelyn at Nine Rubies will be knitting up a sample in some dk weight silk that they carry, this is a fairly good match, I think, to work out any bugs. Knitterly will get a slightly different version tbd.

And now for the tools.

The Ice Queen garter version chart - I have elected to do garter stitch because it lays flat and is reversible - yarn, beads, pencil, needle gauge, needles.... And I'm ready. Tune in next time for the picot cast on!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger vanessa said...

yum!

3:54 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Rosemary- Yarn and beads- my favorite.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the colors are luscious!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Love the color!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

Romi, your lace is so fabulous! I've just finished Muir & now need to block it.

Would you mind terribly being tagged for a meme?
Details here: http://janetjj.blogspot.com/
I quite understand if you don't want to , but I'd love to know your answers :)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Jamie/Moira said...

Beautiful!

That yarn I showed you at the knitting group yesterday is definitely wool.

I did both a burn and bleach test on it.

Now I need to decide what to do with it.

BTY - I did not get a chance to compliment the finished item you had with you yesterday. It is stunning and I loved the color!

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home