22 June 2008

Green

My favorite color. :) I just happened to have some green roving lying about. And I couldn't resist it.

But wait, what about my disaster yarn! I always like to get the bad news out of the way first. And here's the lesson for the day: don't try Navajo plying until you have been spinning for awhile and have the treadle motion down. Yikes! I thought it would be a breeze because it was so easy on the drop spindle! I finally did get the hang of it by about halfway through, but it was a humbling experience and not at all zenlike. I now have some "interesting" yarn. Which my older son loves, bless his heart. So it will be a hat for him. Here it is; it is looking better in this picture than it has any right to. Steam and good camera angles do wonders!

After the disaster yarn, I had to spin my green to get back in a good mood. (It's a good excuse anyway!) And I think it came out pretty well.

I had some of one ply left over (no more Navajo plying thankyewverymuch!) and I plied it with some olive green. I think it looks kinda cool.

Here they are side by side. They're sort of between a sport and dk weight.

And another shot because I love the colors.

Much better. The plying was a treat, particularly after that Navajo plying fiasco. Whew.

Off to do a bit of work. I'm trying not to inhale very deeply. It is very very smoky here from the Napa/Solano County fire. I'm sending good thoughts out to all the California firefighters out there, as well as those who are helping them. It's a tough tough time.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger AR said...

Very pretty! My sister's favorite colors are blue and green together.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Green is the best color, I agree.

And I promise you'll get the hang of the treadling and it will be totally Zenlike.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

Those are indeed great greens...make me think of luscious New England in the summer!

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heavens that is gorgeous Rosemary. Green/blue - favorite colors of mine too. Lovely but how did you learn so quickly?

12:57 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Rosemary- I love green, but it has to be a clear green.

I think your yarn is great.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

coveting coveting coveting. LOVE THE GREEN

10:30 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

"Pretty good." Snort! Those are darn near PERFECT. (even the Navajo plying looks fine.) Did you just wake up one day spinning? HUh? :) Good for you. It looks great.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

My first few attempts on navajo plying weren't that great either, but once it clicks, it's very easy. I love the color of ALL your yarns. One of my fav is the color green too. You learned pretty fast how to spin wonderful yarn! :o)

4:34 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

well, i think all your yarn looks magnificent. so there. nyah.

2:22 PM  
Blogger woolydaisy said...

i love your handspun! especially all those luscious greens! we are in smokeville too!

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gosh, that's really lovely!

lisa

10:54 AM  
Blogger kasiaiscarly said...

The greens are great!

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home