16 June 2008

A Day on the Farm

Saturday was an absolutely gorgeous day, and the perfect day for Spinners' Day on the Farm. It was the first time I have been to this little event, put on each year by a local Sonoma County woman I met at Stitches West a couple of years ago. Pam and I had a good laugh about the fact that we live very close to each other but had to drive miles and miles to meet! The event is at the back of her vineyards under a nice little stand of trees. When my friend Carol and I walked in, it felt like a small Renaissance Faire. Lovely. It smelled like lanolin and silk. Heaven, in other words.

This is the sight that greeted me upon coming into the little grove.

One woman was spinning on a Bosworth Journey Wheel. What a cool contraption!

It was difficult to resist these braids at the Royale Hare booth. Karen has exquisite wares! And will soon have a website. :)

More of Karen's beautiful yarns and rovings. Her booth, which you can visit almost every Saturday at the Santa Rosa Farmer's Market, was brimming with drool-worthy items.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmohair.

My friend Carol was almost drunk with joy.

Gorgeous spindles at Carolina Homespun. I finally got to meet Morgaine! It is always too busy at Stitches West to talk, but we had a great and relaxed chat, and she's taking some of my pins up to Black Sheep Gathering. Woohooo!

Here's Brooke from Tactile spinning the most gorgeous roving. Yummy! If you have not seen her naturally dyed yarns and rovings, you are truly missing out! They are amazing.

The entertainment....

A black fleece - it was amazingly springy.

Amy teaching spinning...

...to her friend, using Ba's method. I learned this way from Ba, as well. She has two people pair up. One holds the roving and the other twists a pen slowly (with roving attached) so that the first person gets used to feeling the roving. It is a great method.

And with what, you ask, did I come away? Well! I had to have some of Karen's goodies. :) Four small hanks of dk weight silk and merino in mocha. The picture really doesn't do the color justice. It is gorgeous!

A ball of roving in olive tones. Mmmmmmm.

Some green laceweight alpaca.

And some laceweight alpaca in a lovely slate blue.

It's already been fondled, bagged and added to my stash bins. Well, I might have rolled around in it a little bit. :)

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

What a wonderful way to spend a day! I'd love to go to a gathering geared directly at spinners. Those rainbow braids are absolutely drool-worthy too. I'd love to know when she sets up her online store.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Yarn lust indeed- you were very restrained, considering.

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't this a wonderful event?? I sure missed coming this year. Glad you had a great time!!

Ba

8:21 AM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

Oh that looks like so much fun...must learn to spin...someday!! Love the goodies you came away with!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Love the pictures. Wish I could have been there ... or anywhere there's wool. Even if I'm not a spinner.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

MMMM I enjoyed last years. That's when I met Ba for the first time and bought one of her spindle and took the new spindler oath. :-)

Sorry I missed it. I miss knit group!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am miserable with envy! What a wonderful day - it looks like such a fun gathering in a beautiful spot!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jamie/Moira said...

I am sorry I missed it, Ba had told me about it, but I was never able to find any information about the event.

Hopefully this was not a one time event. :)

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh. Aah. I love Karen's handiwork, and oh goodness what a lovely day to get to have!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ooh, all that amazing colour! I am so jealous :)

(Thank you for the comment on my blog, BTW, I'm glad you liked my stuff :) )

8:55 PM  
Blogger Vivian said...

Most lovely pictures as usual!
A fiber booth at the local farmer's market, wow, that's my kind of market.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home