25 March 2008

A ripping good time

The weather has been froggy around here lately. First it was the mittens Dr. Steph made me knit; I saw hers and I could not resist them. I love them with a mad passion. You may wonder at me, and why not? I mean, after all, it isn't mitten weather here. But I could not resist. And since I don't have the time to knit a big thing like one of Anne's gorgeous creations, I figured I could take a little break with some mittens. But. Back to the frogginess. I am usually a very tight knitter, except when I have been knitting lace. So when I saw the needle size required, I figured no problem. I went stash diving for the yarn and the US 2 needles and I was off to the races. Because really. Who could resist these colors?

And then I realized that I was knitting mittens for King Kong.

So I ripped. And then I restarted, this time using white for the pattern:

and US 0 needles. I like it much better.

Okay. I am totally and madly in love. And so far it fits, which is always a bonus. :)

Then there is my new version of Muir. I decided to design it using the Faroese structure as a model because I wanted a leaf panel down the center back. I swatched on larger needles with bigger yarn. I thought I had this one down. I got this far,
and I realized that I hated the way the leaf motif was growing next to the center leaf here:

so I ripped.

almost down to nothing. (I love the way this shawl begins - I can't wait for you to see it!)

And then I reknit.

I am absolutely loving it now. I am so glad I ripped!

Gratuitous beauty and the bead shot:

and another.

I am almost back up to where I was before I ripped. Woo! I can't wait to finish. My lace projects look so horrible until I block them - it's always a pleasant surprise to me when I see that everything has turned out well in the end. I think that's why I generally finish lace so quickly!

Oh! And don't forget to get your free shipping!!!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Maud said...

Wow Romi,I love the beginning of the new Muir!

12:34 AM  
Blogger judy said...

Muir was my "next up". Maybe I'll wait for this version. What weight yarn are you using? And the BEADS!!! Oh you are calling my name.

4:54 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Rosemary- I'm loving it.

5:56 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Wow, the new version of Muir is just gorgeous!! and that yarn is sooooo beautiful!

Those mittens look like fun too! Isn't it funny how gauge will really "get you" every once in a while?

6:20 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

Gorgeous as always Rosemary.

Cannot wait to see the finished Product.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Knits & Stitches said...

So pretty!

8:30 AM  
Blogger mary said...

Both projects are just gorgeous!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Ronni said...

I am loving this new Muir too. What is the beautiful yarn you're using for it. The mittens are gorgeous too I think I'll have to go look them up.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Sereknitty said...

Romi, those mitts are gorgeous!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

The new Muir is very exciting to me! Can't wait to watch it grow!

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm, beeeeee-you-tee-ful. The colorway is so subtle and goes so well with your lovely shawl. I love the beads because they give just the weight and sparkle to make a piece like this dance. Your creativity is on a ROLL. Aren't you glad that the planets stopped stepping on the necks of Sag's? :o)

4:34 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Wow, frogging really worked for you! Kind of motivates me to do the same. You are making such beautiful things...

5:51 AM  
Blogger weebug said...

that will be stunning. and i love the mittens.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Dr. Steph said...

I love the mittens and the shawl is gorgeous.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home