23 January 2008

Mohair Madness

The other day, I had coffee with the woman who inspired my design for Ice Queen. I had never told her she was my muse. Perhaps because I was worried that she wouldn't like the pattern? She's not a knitter, and she is quite elegant. I have always wanted to knit her a gift, but I didn't know what. She is very very particular. I can only hope that she likes the pattern that was inspired by her, because I know she is much too gracious ever to tell me if she doesn't! After I forced her to accept offered her an Ice Queen, I put together two colorways for her to choose between, and both would look lovely on her. Because, after all, as I told her, she really needs one.

Colorway #1 is Candy Girl and pomegranate colored beads:

And colorway #2 is Black Currant with amethyst colored beads:

Both would look lovely with her black coat and her complexion.

And, of course, one for me, because the two I knit are in the local yarn store:

Caroline told me today that Ice Queen is in the most active new patterns list on the Ravelry patterns page. I was more than thrilled!

And I've been tagged by Yarnhog! I am to open a book I am currently reading to page 161 and copy the fifth sentence on the page.

In this particular book, there are not 5 sentences on page 161, so I started counting on 161 and continued on page 162. It reads: "Well, of course I do, Mr. Gringe."

The book is "Physik" by Angie Sage. It is my son's, and I would love to say that I only read the Septimus Heap books to be able to discuss them with him, but I will be honest. I love reading his wizard books. :)

Now for my 5 tag-ees: NH Knitting Mama, Lorraine, N. Maria, Turtlegirl, and Ruth.

Have fun!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger mary said...

I also love reading my son's books, not only to be able to discuss them with him, but also b/c it's just plain ole fun reading. Good plots, well-written, great for an easy read! Sweetie Boy is reading the first of Septimus Heap, Magyk, I think. I'm next in line for the book.

10:05 PM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh I like the raspberry one.

And what does one do in this case when they aren't reading a book? Huh. I'll have to grab a random one off the shelf.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Rosemary- Can you reveal the source of your beads? There are some colors I can't find. I'm a little obsessed.

I'll play- I'm reading a book about addiction- should be interesting.

5:37 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

Those yarn/beads mixes are just beautiful. I want to reach through the screen and touch them! Have fun making them!!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

So which one did she choose?

7:53 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

That's very cool that you had a person who inspired you to design Ice Queen. I guess I wouldn't have expected that!

8:41 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

all of the colors are beautiful.
although, i like yours most of all.
look forward to seeing what she chose.
i really need to knit that. it is really sooo beautiful.

9:45 AM  
Blogger theminx said...

Even I bought some mohair to start your pattern (eventually, once I get the 4 I am working on at or near completion, although I am sorely tempted to start it now)!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow--those colors are beautiful! I second the request of finding out where you purchase your beads!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

I am on my fourth complete read-aloud of the Harry Potter books (not including the time I read them silently to myself). Youngest son and I are currently reading book three. I can't say I never get tired of it, but I can't think of many grown-up books I wouldn't have thrown in the fire by now.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the reasons the pattern is so popular is it is so fun to knit - that fluffy pile of mohair growing and twinkling off your needles. I am getting ready to knit my second just to experience that again!

5:35 PM  
Blogger N. Maria said...

I, too, had to grab one off the shelf since my hands are always busy with 2 sticks and some wool!!
.....but I did it!!
Check it out, Romi!
The Ice Queen is beautiful. As always, you pick the best colors and fiber.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Josette said...

Yum, Yum, and Yum on the three Queens. I hope you know you've gotten me totally addicted to this knit. I did mine in a hand-dyed wool/silk lace and it feels so good I have to consciously make an effort not to moan and make socially unacceptable noises whilst wearing it in public.

I read (or steal first, then read) as many books of the kids as I can. Young adult fiction has come so far in the last two decades that I feel I have catching up to do. We're finishing 'The Book Thief' and I can't recommend it enough. Of course, we're geeks for wizard books. Just ask me how late (or early) we were at the book store for HP 7. Put it this way, hubster fed the sheep when we left, I fed them when we got home.....this means all night.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I just cast on a few days ago. I do lace only in the early morning hours so I have only 20 rows done so far. I have a question tho. Do we not change to the size 5 needles until the picot bind-off?

BTW, I using Kidsilk Night in Thunder. [looks like a midnight blue to me] The beads are perfect in the way they reflect the color in the yarn. Can't remember the color name tho.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home