08 January 2008

A Day in the Land of the Sleep Deprived

12:00 am: Glance at clock and note that it is midnight and you are still working.
12:30 am: Think about going to bed and realize that your deadline is tomorrow and you have 16 hours to get book projects to FedEx. And that you are emphatically NOT a morning person.
1:00 am: Begin playing "Somewhere over the Rainbow" sung by Iz. Over and over.
2:30 am: Begin to think that you know Iz personally. Decide to play a different song.
2:45 am: Realize that you are unable to see tiny black stitches any longer. Even under light. Drag yourself to bed.
3:00 am: Lie across bed with clothes on.
3:45 am: Wake up still with clothes on. Take them off and get into bed.
8:00 am: Awaken to hugs by 4 year old. Realize that this is the definite high point of the day.
8:05 am: Look in mirror. Scream.
8:15 am: Eat cereal. Drink caffeine.
8:30 am: Bead. Sew. Assemble projects.
12:15 pm: Eat left over curry. Drink caffeine. Thank Powers That Be for wonderful husband, currently with kids upstairs.
12:30 pm: Try to retain concentration when husband and kids come downstairs for lunch.
12:45 pm: Fail.
12:55 pm: Realize you are completely brainless and incapable of working with kids in near vicinity.
1:10 pm: Work.
2:00 pm: Realize you have made same mistake 3 times.
2:30 pm: Become frustrated while looking at misshapen felt ball.
2:35 pm: Lecture felt ball.
2:45 pm: Realize you cannot both bend felted balls to your will and make FedEx deadline. Cry.
3:00 pm: Take pictures of finished projects.
3:30 pm: Pack projects.
3:50 pm: Do FedEx label.
3:55 pm: Realize you have no ink in printer. Curse loudly.
4:00 pm: Make pdf and print label from other printer.
4:10 pm: Work on uncompleted project before going to FedEx.
4:45 pm: Decide to leave for FedEx.
5:00 pm: Realize that Colorado is probably NOT west coast deadline of 6:00, but is EAST COAST DEADLINE AT 5:15!
5:05 pm: Cry.
5:10 pm: Become stuck behind three semi trucks turning left.
5:13 pm: Run through possible ways to convince FedEx personnel to take pity on you.
5:15 pm: Arrive at FedEx.
5:16 pm: Find out for sure that Colorado deadline IS 5:15. Stare in horror at clock.
5:17 pm: Find out that FedEx personnel are Good People.
5:18 pm: Celebrate.
5:45 pm: Return home.
6:00 pm: Eat delicious dinner prepared by aforementioned wonderful husband. Feel very very lucky.
6:30 pm: Work.
7:00 pm: Realize you are making same mistake again.
8:00 pm: Put kids to bed.
8:30 pm: Resume making mistake.
9:00 pm: Begin chanting "Don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up."
10:00 pm: Chant. Work.
11:00 pm: Chant. Work.
12:00 am: Collapse.

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

Well, all I can say is that I hope that you are able to return to the land of good sleep very soon!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Soo said...

Eeek - I'm exhausted just reading that. Hope you get some proper sleep soon!

2:20 AM  
Blogger Maud said...

Oh Rosemary, how long will this have to go on? Good luck with the rest of what you have left to do.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'm exhausted just reading this post.

2:35 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

The husband is definitely a keeper!

3:14 AM  
Blogger lv2knit said...

Whew -- now I'M exhausted!

4:31 AM  
Blogger laura gayle said...

can I pour you a cup of coffee ??? ;)

4:35 AM  
Blogger Jen in FL said...

dude. I hope you get some rest soon--that was very grueling!

5:36 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I think I need to go lay down.

I am wiped just reading about your day.

Hooray for morning hugs from little ones, and good hubbies

6:04 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

Oh, honey. Hang in there! You're doing great!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Rosemary- Such is the price one must pay to be an artistic genius.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

Okay you are a lunatic young lady.

Any number of us at knit group would be happy to help you finish the projects for your book and we won't spill the beans!

Ask for help and we'll come running. I mean it.

PS Your four year (and hubby) is an absolute doll. Okay DS1 is pretty sweet too I bet.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Oh dear. Life would be so much easier if we could borrow time from places we don't need it to drag on (say, the dentist's office, or rocking a colicky baby) and use it when we do (date night, or rushing to get a project done). I'll get right on a way to make that happen, as soon as I figure out the whole replicating-myself thing. Sweet dreams!

8:20 AM  
Blogger punkin said...

Wow, you did an amazing job of battling through. I hope you get some well-deserved rest.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As my dear Grandma would say, "Well bless your heart!". At the nearest opportunity, have some chamomile tea and a nap.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a day!!! Thank goodness for DH, huh? And FedEx!

11:06 AM  
Blogger theminx said...

I certainly hope that is not a schedule that you have to keep up for very long!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

Poor you, makes me want to crawl into my bed just reading this. And I'm not exactly sleep deprived as you are. Hope it was all worth it!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I hope you get some sleep soon! Sleep Deprivation is so debilitating.

2:48 PM  
Blogger NH Knitting Mama said...

Oh, my goodness, my friend! That sounds exhausting on paper, so I can't imagine what it was like to live that in real life. But, you made it - good for you!!!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must be exhausted, but it seems you still have a sense of humor! I hope you get some rest soon.

4:28 PM  
Blogger ...Sarah said...

I am tired for you.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Sweetheart! I wish I was there to fix you a cup of tea and drive you where ever you need to go. It does sound as though you pulled it off and quite beautifully, I am sure!

My thoughts are with you and the family. Sending you sandy XXOO!!!

11:39 PM  
Blogger 5penny said...

wow, sounds painful. can't wait to see your pained product!

damn the deadlines. all of them!

sending all my spare energy your way.

4:19 PM  
Blogger junie said...

Yeesh Girl, no wonder I haven't heard from you in ages. I am so darned tired after reading about your day, I am going to bed.

Sounds like you need a 4 week sleepfest! Keep your chin up and lay your head on a pillow, cover self with warm quilt, and snooze.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home