23 December 2007

Monday's Musing

I have been indulging in our tradition of reading "A Christmas Carol" to the boys, hence the following quote:

"I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." - Charles Dickens

I love that book. And though there are many different traditions and holidays at this time of year, I like to believe that Dickens was right: this is the time of year when people seem to open their hearts a little more, no matter what they celebrate.

Happy holidays everyone! :) After last Monday's musing, I realized how many of you have had difficult years. Extra special wishes of warmth and joy to you!

Oh! Did anyone else see The Harlot featured in the Sunday NY Times for coining the phrase "to Kinnear"? How cool is that?! :)

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Bridget said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

I think Dickens had it right with that quote. Heck, maybe someone who decides to be "nicer" at Christmastime, will decide to try it for a week or two more ...

4:44 AM  
Blogger NH Knitting Mama said...

Thank you for sharing that quote. Very nice.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Merry Christmas and Well Wishes from the New York area.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very Merry Christmas to you & yours! I didn't see that NY Times piece, but am going to check it out.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding last Monday's musing about great loss, my observation has been that not only will your loved ones live on in your minds and hearts but, even though they are gone, their love will always remain within you. This has brought me great comfort, and I hope it will help you, too.
Merry Christmas and best wishes for a peace-filled New Year!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Madge said...

Happiest of holidays to you and your family! And may you have a bitchin' 2008, too!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I've seen many renditions of A Christmas Carol in plays and movies but have never read the actual book by Dickens. What a great passage! So true.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

Merry Christmas Rosemary.

Hope you and your boys all had a lovely day.

9:25 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Hope you had a great holiday, thanks for your inspiring quotes and musings!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours- the world would be a better place if everyone would just be a little nicer.

And your blog is a nice place.

8:05 AM  
Blogger lv2knit said...

Glad to hear that you rallied to have a great holiday -- it sure took more mental effort this year, n'est-ce pas? I know your 2008 will be fantastic as your book wraps up and gets to press. We are all waiting (im)patiently for it!

PS -- I love wearing my "Courage!"

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How.Did.They.Do.That. Did they have an iceblock on the bottom to slide down by? Meantime, thank you for the link to the article--I had no idea. I used the word "kinnear" while we were taking family photos a few days ago, and next time I'll have the NYT to back me up. Heh.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home