12 November 2007

Monday's Musing

The other day, my husband was having his usual cup of tea. It's one of those brands that has a quote with each tea bag. He always reads the quotes to me, and this was a particularly great one, in both of our opinions:

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome." - Booker T. Washington

In fact, I loved that quote so much that I looked up others by Mr. Washington. And that has led me to proclaim today the unofficial "Booker T. Washington Day" on rosemary-go-round. :)

Feast your eyes on these fabulous quotes:

"I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him."

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else."

"No race can prosper till it learns that there is as much dignity in tilling a field as in writing a poem."

"One man cannot hold another man down in the ditch without remaining down in the ditch with him."

"There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up."
- Booker T. Washington

What do you think? Was the man a genius or what? I think so. It is so inspirational to me to see the incredible positives that extraordinary people can make of their difficulties. It buoys me.

I hope you've enjoyed the quotes! Have a great week everyone!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger ...Sarah said...

I definitely enjoy his point of view.
He was very profound.

I had never read the poem you posted for Veteran's/Remembrance Day before. The words are haunting. I am supportive of the men and women who sacrifice for us, but I feel so strongly that I want them all home with their babies and moms and dads. It makes me so sad thinking of them missing out on so much while they witness some soul destroying things.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Was this Good Earth tea by any chance? I love the quotes that they put on the tags.

Thanks for these, they're wonderful!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

Yes, nothing like a well written quote to get some perspective on your own life! Thanks for sharing!

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read his biography (I think it was his autobiography) years ago, and just came away going, man. The things he had to overcome. Wow.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Maud said...

I love them! Thank you for quoting him!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Thanks for the quotes. I often wonder where all the inspirational people are today.

10:08 PM  
Blogger hopalong682003 said...

Thanks for the quotes. Those are great. Timeless.

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever get to read his book, Up From Slavery, you'll be most impressed by what he achieved. Great quotes indeed.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Jen D. said...

He was definitely a man who thought carefully and deeply. A man to be respected and admired for certain.

9:36 AM  
Blogger NH Knitting Mama said...

I love these uplifting quotes. Thanks for sharing them, they made a difference for me today!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Thanks for sharing those little gems!

12:49 PM  
Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

those were some good quotes. i like how they put everyday things into a different perspective, more meaningful.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home