16 September 2007

Wow!

Thank you all so much for the kind words about Muir! You guys rock. Big time! :) I hope everyone enjoys knitting it!

I've gotten a few questions about Tsuki by Artfibers, the yarn I used. So here's the scoop! Artfibers is a store in San Francisco that dyes their own yarns, and those yarns are not available elsewhere, as far as I know. That being said, there are many other yarns that can be substituted and that you can fondle at your local yarn store. Here is a picture of some possibilities:

From left to right are Habu silk/mohair (A-32), Rowan Kidsilk Haze, Madil Kid Seta, Colinette Parisienne and for comparison, Artfibers Tsuki. These are all silk/mohair blends, but Tsuki and the Habu have a higher silk content than Kidsilk Haze, Parisienne and Kid Seta. The picture doesn't show it very well, but Tsuki is a little less fuzzy than the others with higher mohair content. Kid Seta comes in a color that is very close to the Tsuki that I used: color 470. It is an olivey green. The Tsuki, however, has color gradations, because of the method used to dye the yarn. The silk and the mohair take the dye differently and the resulting yarn is almost, but not quite, solid. It's a cool effect. The Kid Seta is perfectly solid, but with the sheen of silk.

For those of you who like a little fuzziness, but not as much as you get with mohair, I recommend laceweight baby alpaca. It has some halo and is wonderfully soft, but it is much much easier to rip.

I've also been asked about needle size. I used US 6 needles, and I knit lace very loosely. I suggest swatching if you are concerned. :)

Here is a tutorial for one way to do a provisional cast-on. It is my favorite method.

And I know there have been problems printing out the chart. There's a pdf here that should work!

Ravelry users can queue Muir here.

Now...who is da bomb? My Secret Pal, that's who!!! Look what she sent me!


Eeeeeeeeeeee! Thank you Secret Pal! I heart this book. I've been drooling in my spare time. :)

Now it's back to work with me, and another apology for dropping off the face of the Earth and not coming around visiting lately. Have a great week!

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Maud said...

Muir is lovely! Thank you fort he yarnc omparations!

11:39 PM  
Blogger margaret in manhattan said...

thanks so much for the comparison shot - looks to me also that the tsuki is a tad thicker than the habu a-32 - but it's great to see them "in cyberperson"!

5:55 AM  
Blogger Laritza said...

It is indeed very pretty! I love the yarn too :D

6:36 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

No apologies necessary- creativity needs concentration.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Every yarn substitution should be like this....

1:54 PM  
Blogger NH Knitting Mama said...

When I designed my candy bag I enjoyed receiving emails from people that were interested in technique, etc. I'm glad you're getting a good reception!

That book looks great from the cover. I have not seen that one before.

2:27 PM  
Blogger ...Sarah said...

Cangrats on the Muir stole in Knitty. It is stunning!

8:00 PM  
Blogger mehitabel said...

Lovely design, and I was so thrilled to see that it was yours! Thanks also for the easier-to-print version of the chart: just finished printing it, and as soon as I raid the stash for the right colors I'll be starting in on it!

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations on Muir!!!! I love it.

However, I have to have the pattern for the hat you had on in your "About the Designer" pic...

Please please please!!!!!!

6:55 PM  
Blogger me said...

Thank you for the additional info. on the yarn for Muir. I think I am in love with Muir (if that's possible) and am dreaming of starting it. Now, if I could just find the time to knit!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

late to the party, but I too stopped in to say how much I really love Muir. (the eggs are pretty cool too) ;)

4:26 AM  
Blogger gomitolina said...

Your Muir shawl and I fell in love immediately. I had tre skeins of Mondial Prestigio (80% super kid mohair) that fitted well. They are a bit less (in lenght) than what you used, so I decided to repeat the pattern two times instead of three. It works well, and the shawl is still wide enough. Give a look of the beginning in my blog, please!

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home