07 September 2007

Friday Eye Candy, Evening Edition

Here are a few more clues as to the nature of the stealth crochet.

Silver plated colored copper wire from Artistic Wire:

and more colors of silver plated wire from Artistic Wire:

metallic braid and silk from Earth Faire:

more metallic braid from Earth Faire (and if you didn't click through before, do it now and look at all the pretty sparkly stuff!)

And here I would like to pause a moment to thank all of the suppliers and manufacturers with whom I am having the pleasure of working, while in the throes of designing pieces for my book. Your kindness and generosity are very very very much appreciated! Thank you!

On the home front, we have done something a little different with the homeschooling this year for #1 Son. We enrolled him in California Virtual Academy, which is a fully accredited online charter school. He started this week, and wow! What a program! They send a computer and printer, school books, art supplies, music supplies and teacher manuals - all to use gratis. Yes, for free! Can you believe it?! Today was our first teacher meeting where he had an assessment of his reading and math skills. He did so well! After he read and understood the 7th grade level paragraph, the teacher stopped and went to math. He aced that one, too, coming in at the fifth grade level. So although he just started third grade, with this program it is possible for him to skip ahead in certain areas and go at his own speed. In this case, we will accelerate him through the 3rd grade math and 4th grade reading rather than skipping it all, so there are no holes in his education. It is very very cool. And we were so proud of him! Our little cutie-pie, being only 4 and not having a birthday until March, cannot yet enroll because it is a public school - he does not meet the cut-off age. He is very very disappointed.

And yet another sad good-bye: Madeleine L'Engle, whose book A Wrinkle in Time will always be one of my very very favorites. Farewell Madeleine. You will be sorely missed. Thank you for everything you gave us.

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Jillsknit said...

OH HOW SAD! I hadn't heard about Madeleine. I absolutely loved her books and just gave them to my cousin's daughter. It's nice to know she'll live on in her wonderful books.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the green wire. What are you making?

10:24 PM  
Blogger Sonja said...

How sad! I absolutely love Wrinkle in Time, and she authored one of the readings we used at our wedding :(

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That homeschool program sounds awesome. Good for ds for doing so well, too!

Love the photos.

3:21 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

My friend teaches at the Pennsylvania version of that school and just raves about what a great experience it is for everyone involved. I was sad about Madeleine L'Engle, too:(

4:45 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

You are so evil ;-) Had a few things in my cart at Earth Faire before I came to my senses!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Laritza said...

You have a wonderful selection of color and texture!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

What a wonderful opportunity for your kid! Could you perhaps tell us more about why you chose homeschooling? For the intellectual stimulation, perhaps?

Of course, all the wire, etc. is yummy...I am having serious "want" issues lately. I'm holding back!

8:54 AM  
Blogger kat coyle said...

I'm going to check out that home school. It sounds amazing. My kid is only 3 so we still have some time.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

Oh, no! She's one of my all-time favorite authors.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Maud said...

Beautiful pictures!

11:09 AM  
Blogger annmarie said...

that acid green wire is sooooo drool-worthy. :)

3:12 PM  
Blogger mle said...

I'm loving that colored wire! so virbrant!
And congrats to your son...that is really great!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

I didn't know you homeschooled...me too..I'm new to it in California though...what has your experience been like so far? Have you always homeschooled?

7:05 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

That homeschooling program sounds wonderful. I love to hear the success stories of homeschooled children!

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! These photos sure were a feast for the eyes! And this homeschool program sounds very interesting indeed, all the best with it!

12:57 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

Oooh, very exciting! I look forward to seeing the result! You do take such wonderful photos... Good luck to your son, that sounds like a great program!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Rosemary- I didn't know wire came in those colors. Cool.

Sad about Madeleine. She will be missed.

Great news about the schooling- but as mothers, we all know our kids are little geniuses!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Tiny Tyrant said...

I want the green.

4:47 PM  
Blogger AR said...

Those pics are neat! Such pretty wire.

Congrats on the home school front. Sounds like a good idea to do the work he's able, instead of being bored with something too easy.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

I love that about homeschooling - that the kids can move at their own pace. If they are having trouble in one area, they can spend more time on it and if they are excelling, they can move on ahead instead of waiting for everyone else to catch up.

I'm looking forward to the stealth crochet. All the wires and such look just beautiful!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Romi, I received my swan pin today, it is so gorgeous. Your work is perfection. Thanks.

1:06 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

Those photos of the wire are amazing - I would put them up in my house!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Becka said...

Whatever this stealth project is...I am going to have to learn to crochet to do it because I must have it...GORGEOUS!
What an outstanding program!!! And very smart young man!

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home