01 June 2007

What I did over Memorial Day Weekend, Part III

We interrupt the usual Friday Eye Candy programming to bring you the third and final installment in the exciting mini-series. ;)

Saturday, I actually took a little time out to go knit with my regular Saturday morning group. I didn't think I would be able to make it, but at the last minute, I realized there was not much going on that morning, so off I went! And I'm so glad I did! I got to see Carol's finished tie-dyed boxes (she's standing next to Susan) and take a terrible cell phone photo of it:

I think she looks great in it!

I also picked up some yarn and Last Minute Knitted Gifts. But more about that later!

On we went then, back to the fair! Here you can see some serious cotton candy enjoyment going on:


And then we have Dr. Destructo looking adorable for the camera, so I could not resist putting him in:

It's difficult to believe anyone with this face is capable of the wanton destruction of everything in his immediate vicinity, isn't it? Like Alison says, it's a good thing he's so cute!

Saturday night brought the market animal auction, cake auction and wine barrel auction (the boys were planting the barrel in yesterday's post). Since the auction raises money for the kids' college funds and for 4H and FFA (Future Farmers of America), the community is always very generous. Several kids walked away from the animal auction with over $10,000 to add to their college bank accounts. But the moment that took the cake
, as it were (I can't help the pun - it's a sickness!) for me was the money put up for a single strawberry cheesecake that looked like this one (without the pieces cut out, of course). Are you ready? $1,800! Last year it went for $500. That's quite a jump, eh? It was a bidding war, as you may have guessed. In the end, the woman who baked it won it back with the help of her bidding coalition. ;) And the kids all benefited. It was wonderful!

The fair ended Saturday night and Sunday morning was clean-up, so we went back to help. #1 Son was anxious to help his older friends who had had animals sold at auction the day before.

Sunday afternoon I began knitting up a baby sweater, and on Monday I finished it:

Yarn: Blossom by Reynolds
Pattern: Child's Placket Neck Pullover from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, in 6-12 month size

I modified the pattern because the yarn was so far off gauge. In addition to the gauge issues, I used garter stitch rather than seed stitch around the borders. The buttons were larger than the pattern called for (Joelle Hoverson used beads), but I had to have them! So I sewed them on and then added nylon snaps underneath. (Isn't that cool!? See-through nylon snaps! I'd never seen them before.)

The sweater was for #1 Son's Sensei(s), a husband-wife team who just had a baby girl! The party was on Tuesday. Whew!

And that's that. I think I also had a nap in there somwhere. ;)

Oops! I forgot to add that I got an invitation to Ravelry over the weekend! Woooooot! Another time wasting amazingly fun thing to do! I love it. :)

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

What a perfect little teeny sweater! I love the color- I bet it looks even better on!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Wow, an $1,800 cheese cake! That's very generous. I won't be able to stop thinking about it now that I looked at the picture.

Cute sweater!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Looks yummy!

How nice it is to know that there are still some wonderfully generous people around!

I think candy floss is one of the very few blue food I will eat.

2:31 PM  
Blogger NH Knitting Mama said...

Well, I'm bummed to know that this was the last installment! ha ha...

Looks like you had a fantastic weekend all around. I like the baby sweater, too!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I am glad all the money went to the kids! I can't believe the $1,800 for a cheese cake! Although I think my SO would easily drop that much on one. -=giggle=- I am glad to see that you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun! Of course, when kids come down off a cotton candy high, it can get ugly, LOL. But they're so cute.

The sweater is adorable!

4:23 AM  
Blogger AR said...

Your friend's sweater does look great! Mmmm I love cotton candy.

Cute baby sweater, too. :)

5:51 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Mmmmm- the blue cotton candy is my favorite.

Looking forward to hearing more about Ravelry.

7:20 AM  
Blogger lv2knit said...

Destructo is adorable, of course -- nature provides him with a defense mechanism! I am now totally in the mood for strawberry cheesecake -- like I must have it NOW!! AND, the sweater is way adorable. Lots in your post today -- I'm still waiting for my Ravelry invite :(

12:20 PM  
Blogger Ronni said...

I love that little sweater. It's very cute. I love the buttons. They really add that little bit of je ne sais quoi to the garment.

It sounds like you had a fun but tiring weekend. I hope this one is restful.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Sereknitty said...

Loved the baby sweater in my current favorite shade of green! Clearly that's another book I'll have to add to my 'wish list'!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Mmm...cotton candy. I love your childs placket neck pullover. You made that so fast! I've made it twice, it's such a fun knit. I don't even add buttons, I just fold down the collar and it looks like a polo shirt. But those were for boys. The buttons are super cute for a girl. Great job!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your kids are adorable. Well, yeah; they look a lot like my boys did at that age.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how fun - thanks for sharing the pics! And that little sweater is totally adorable - what a great job you did with it!

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the sweater! I'm glad you worked out the gauge issues, because it looks so comfy in that yarn.

So, another one in Ravelry, and I'm still knocking on the door. *sob* Okay, I'll try to be patient. Thanks for your comment on my blog!

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your placket neck pullover! The snaps were a perfect idea (I saw so many cute buttons, but didn't get them because they wouldn't fit - you were more creative than I!!)
Let us know if Ravelry is worth it...I just don't know if I have time to give to that in addition to everything else!!

9:23 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

That little baby sweater is soo cute. What a great idea to use snaps!

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that sweet little green sweater!!! I can't believe you already have it finished. You are my hero!

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home