20 June 2007

And the results are in!

This was a fun one! I really really enjoyed reading all of your guesses on the contest.

So.

Without further ado...

...it was ginger ale. :) We didn't use champagne or sparkling wine because the bubbles are so small that they don't photograph very well at all. It tends to look like beer, if you can believe it!

Here's how the picture was taken. A champagne flute was placed on a peach colored gel (as in a see-through colored plastic sheet for photography) on top of a light box and in front of a black background. The camera (shooting film, not digital) was placed in front and adjusted for a shutter speed on the slow side (I don't know the exact setting of this transparency). The strobe lights (also gel'd) were set to fire when the camera shutter opened. Some ginger ale was placed in the glass and then, before each shot, I freshened it up a bit, which created more bubbles. The slow shutter speed, coupled with the pop of the strobe lights, captured a bright bubble followed by a long stream as the bubble moved up while the shutter was open.

Those of you who mentioned hair gel and other substances in which bubbles might be suspended were not far, however, from how some shots are accomplished. There are model makers who specialize in acrylic spills and other types of models that approximate liquids - just for ad shoots. Cool, eh? :)

So here's what I did with the contest. I entered everyone who answered that it was a sparkling liquid that would have produced the same results as the ginger ale. In other words: it had to have the right kind of bubbles and also be the color of champagne or sparkling white wine (including cream soda, sparkling grape juice, apple juice and sprite...). Then I went over to random.org and generated the number 4. Sharyn was the 4th commenter who guessed correctly. Congratulations, Sharyn! Email me at romiATdesignsbyromiDOTcom with your address please and I'll send off your pin!

Thank you all for playing!

And thanks, everyone, for the kind words about my new profile pic. I didn't think anyone would notice! You guys are the best. :)

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger NH Knitting Mama said...

That was a fun contest, and neat to hear about the photo shoot.

Of course we notice things like profile pics! This is the only way we see each other...

8:30 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

So, um, the fact that I can't even get a non-blurry picture with my point and shoot compact digital camera kind of puts me in a different league, photographically-speaking, huh? Great picture!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginger Ale?! Who would've thought?! Great contest!

12:51 AM  
Blogger lv2knit said...

I had no clue so did not even enter -- ginger ale seems so simple!! REAL photography is so complex!

5:00 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Ginger Ale--of course!!!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

The new profile pic looks great. I wasn't too far off with Cream soda.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! At least I was in the ball park.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Very cool!
You should see the fake food in Japan. It's amazing!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Becka said...

Such imagination! Great photography!!!!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Wow, I love hearing how the photo shoots are done. Cool.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I wouldn't have been ANYWHERE in the ballpark. :)

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home