09 June 2007

The 6 o'clock News

Last Thursday evening some friends and I piled into the car and drove on down to Petaluma to see the one, the only, the Yarn Harlot herself! In the flesh. Here is where I will admit that I didn't know whether or not I would enjoy hearing her speak. I had heard that she was hilarious, smart, gracious and well worth seeing. So I had determined to go. Usually, though, I don't think things are funny that everyone else thinks are funny. I don't like Seinfeld for instance. See?! I'm telling you!

She was wonderful. Absolutely hilariously and wonderfully witty and funny. I loved her. I was laughing uproariously (the whole audience was!). My friends had to hold me down to keep me from buying all of her audio books right then and there, because her comic timing is just so perfect, so exquisite, that I knew I would rather hear her read her books than read them myself! This usually does not happen. I am smitten.

Here she is, still graciously signing books and talking to people at 10:30pm:

And showing off her chocolate covered espresso beans from Sylvia via Silvia (see?! I didn't eat them!):

Here's the crowd looking up at Stephanie earlier while she was speaking:

And looking toward the back of the room:

There were only two people there not interested:

Harry Potter is difficult to compete with, though!

Here is Susan in Knitterly. "Room spinning. Head light. So. Much. Yarn. Must touch roll in yarn. Must...."

I got to see Alison again and to see the advance copy of her gorgeous new book! She even let me hold it. And now I get to say I knew her when! :)

As you can see, she already has groupies who hold up lacy backgrounds for impromptu photo shoots. Lucky girl! Where can I get a couple? I need all the help I can get.

And I finally got to meet Silvia! Here she is holding the famous chocolate covered espresso beans before the hand-off to me:

And in the end, I just want to say this: if all celebrities were as talented, gracious and inclusive as Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the world would be a better place. Thank you, Stephanie, for everything you have given us. You are wonderful.

Okay now. I still need to dispel that nasty rumor that I am actually a female impersonator. It's just not true, people, however it looks on the Harlot's blog! Don't believe it! So for those of you (Joanne) who want to know what I really look like, here are two pics I just took in the mirror. This is it, the un-made-up, unvarnished, photographed in a t-shirt by a crappy photographer, boring old me. :) Not as good as the profile shot, Marina, which was shot by my husband, a professional photographer (you should see the rest of the pics from that shoot - wow! I wish I looked like that all the time!), and when I weighed 10 pounds less (I'm working on it!) but not as bad as the female impersonator shot. Still lookin' a little puffy, but, um, that happens once in awhile.


Be well! :)

Labels:

31 Comments:

Blogger NH Knitting Mama said...

Terrific post. I email with Alison everyday, so that was nice to see a pic of her, too.

I wish I didn't have to miss seeing the Harlot when she was here last week!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Ronni said...

I know what you mean about humor. I didn't get Seinfeld either most of the time. Occasional laughter was the best I could ever do. I never watched it on purpose. Even more heretical, I don't like SNL and I never did. But the Harlot is a hoot.

I think I know that "groupie". She's a very sweet lady, if she is indeed who I think she is. I'll have to tell her she's blogfamous now.

I wish I'd been able to get up there. I was too swamped with family stuff to get away unfortunately. Hope I get another chance some day.

7:53 PM  
Blogger margene said...

There is fun where ever Stephanie goes. You all look great both here and on Steph's blog!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No offense to all of the lovely female impersonators in the world, but you do not look like one! In fact, you are gorgeous in person. I was the lady 2 rows ahead who asked about your Birch Shawl, which is a pattern I've always thought was pretty, but on you, in that lovely color, with that beautiful hair, well, I just have to have one! And now that I've seen your web site I'll probably have to swing by and pick up a pin or two when it's done. (It will be a while. I'm new to lace.) I agree the pic on Stephanie's blog is not the best, but try not to be too bummed. The only time I ever look good in pictures is when they are taken by the DMV. If I ever get married, I think I'll have trouble lining their photographer up for the event.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Isn't she amazing? I had so much fun. I would drive hours to see that woman talk again.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Oiy! I only said you looked different. Gorgeous, but different!

So how was the KIP?

9:13 PM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

First, I totally admire your lack of vanity in posting un-made-up pictures on the internet. Second, you look fabulous!

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had such a lot of fun - thanks for sharing these great pics!

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'm convinced, you're gorgeous in person. And as I already told you, you didn't look like a female impersonator, LOL. No makeup? Come on, how many of us are going to post unmade-up photos on the 'net? Me? No way.

That looked like a FUN time you had, I'm so happy you got to see Stephanie in person.

5:32 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

i don't like seinfeld either.

the photo of your son in the 4h garb is too too cute for words!!!

5:40 AM  
Blogger lv2knit said...

I totally agree with you about YH. I had never read her blog with any regularity (I started to when she told me she reads OUR blog!!??!! -- though I doubt she still does, though we are apparently having an informal Kauni Cardigan KAL). I thoroughly enjoyed her talk and the way she spoke to each and every knitter as they came up to have their book signed! Wow. She made everyone feel like they were the only person on earth. Very generous and gracious.

And you are beautiful!

6:15 AM  
Blogger Michelle Martino said...

You not only look perfect, you are a heroine in my eyes for your willingness to be photographed. I met Debbie Bliss this past Friday. It was wonderful! She was wonderful. And because I knew I looked like crap I reneged on having a shot with her....boy do I regret it. I am now your #1 fan!

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing about your visit with the Harlot. I don't find the usual things funny either. Why IS that? Something has to be intelligently witty to crack me up, not stupid funny. Anyway, I enjoyed your take on Stephanie's visit.

Also, okay I have to admit that your self portraits look better than the picture on Harlot's blog. In that one you looked great, in these you look downright gorgeous! Oh, don't even worry about it!

6:47 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Wow, you got to meet Stephanie Pearl-McFee! how cool! I've heard she's pretty funny..I wish I could go see her somewhere.
And your self-portraits are beautiful!

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admit I was worried about the same thing before I went to see the Harlot speak, and I loved her! Good tip on the audio books - I didn't realize her books were also available in that format. Adding them to my Audible.com wishlist...

You look great without makeup!! I only wish I could look that great without any!!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

Okay, after seeing these pictures of you, I will grant the picture on Lady Harlot's blog was not as good as it could have been. But I still think you're being way too hard on yourself about it. In no way do you, or could you ever, resemble a female impersonator. You're lovely!!

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always miss the Harlot. It's frustrating.

Seriously though, you're beautiful!

10:55 AM  
Blogger sophanne said...

Romi-

Please consider this your personal invitation to join "Crack (me up) Saturday" next weekend. Though I really don't think anyone can beat my first post-and no one really needs an invitation- just some serious guts!

sophanne

11:41 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

OMG, there is no way you look like a female impersonator. You look lovely, and you look very kind, as you are.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to see Stephanie in a little bookstore when she was promoting "At Knit's End" and before she was super famous - What a fun (and funny)night!
Thanks for all the photos - it's fun to peek in on your evening!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Who said you were a female impersonator?
I saw your picture on the YH blog- what was the problem?

I've seen YH a few times, she's good at what she does.

And Seinfeld gets funnier the more you watch it.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Wow, Stephanie and Alison in one place! (I'm so looking forward to Alison's book.)

6:26 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Rosemary, I think you are beautiful inside and out. One bad photo does nothing to change that!

Good summary of the Harlot visit, too. Sounds like you had fun!

7:13 AM  
Blogger AuntieAnn said...

I was so bummed I couldn't go -- school concert night, you know. Thanks for showing us your pictures -- I don't like most pix I see of myself lately, I have to admit. You look very happy in your pic on Stephanie's blog, clearly you are having a great time, and you look very lovely AND happy in your pix you posted today.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just made me snort coffee with that nutty shemale riff! Good to finally meet you too!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

Holy cow you're famous! Hey I think you look great unvarnished :) Sounds like the Harlot is awesome, I hope I get to see her one day!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

You are much too hard on yourself. You look great here and over there too. :)

3:30 PM  
Blogger Zenknitter LesleyD said...

Romi doll! I love ya!! We are brown eyed knittin sistas!! You are beautiful!!

I'm also jealous that you got to meet THE Yarn Harlot!! One day, one day! I'll travel somewhere away from the armpit of the south to see that mecca of knittin!!! Hopefully sometime before or just after france. :-)
Loves ya hun!!!

8:55 PM  
Blogger HoJo said...

I was so glad to see your pic on Yarn Harlot, and No, I didn't think for a moment that you looked like a female impersonator. Stephanie's great isn't she?

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous shots, Rosemary, absolutely gorgeous. (Now, if we could do something about mine there... Goodness, I can't do booksignings until all the hair grows back that got ripped out with my two EEGs, right? Um...) Anyway, I'm so glad you came and I am so glad I got to see you again. If I had had any idea you had any doubts, I'd have told you how much you were going to enjoy hearing Stephanie. I'm glad you came!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know if you remember me, I was the one who thought you matched your majestic shawl. :-) How on earth do you keep it from shedding??

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home