Since I keep track of my progress on the charts using a highlighter, I began by making a working copy. I found my stitch markers (neon colored plastic drinking straws cut in small rings) and cast on with cobweb weight silk from Colourmart and US 4 needles. What gorgeous yarn! And what an unmitigated disaster! The silk was really much too fine for the pattern. Below, you can see the first few rows of chart number 1:
And here it is stretched a bit:
The character of the shawl was lost completely. So back to the drawing board. I ran upstairs and grabbed the yarn I had originally bought for the purpose (a couple of years ago): Zephyr wool/silk in marine blue. The Colourmart silk was put away for a pattern to be knit on US 0s (when I am feeling masochistic, which happens more often than you'd expect, actually).
I cast on again and joy! It flew. Here is the shriveled little mess that is charts 1 and 1a:
Here it is stretched out a bit:
I am very happy with the Zephyr. And I'm already entertaining the idea of knitting a miniature version of Peacock Feathers on US 0s and using the silk. Or perhaps lengthening the entire shawl. Hmmmm....