04 March 2007

Onward

Whew! What a week! :) I still haven't blocked my shawl, but I am getting my blocking wires out right after I write this.

I've been working on my orange sweater, but not getting much time to do that. Here it is after I did a three needle bind-off on the shoulders:

I decided to knit the mock turtle while thinking about the sleeves. You see, I hate sewing in sleeves. Really, I hate sewing knitted pieces together at all, so I have been knitting it in the round. Here I have marked the neckline off in sections and am picking up stitches:


And here it is ready to knit the collar, using a modified magic loop that I saw over on the Rainey Sisters blog. I love it! You don't have to knit across the cable. :)


I did decide to knit the sleeves from the armhole down. They are shaped, so I have spent a lot of time musing on how best to accomplish this feat. I came up with my plan and was telling my friend Therese, who immediately said, "Oh! I have a bunch of notes on doing that. I'll send them to you." And all I could think was "Duh! Why do I always have to go re-inventing the wheel?!" I then checked my copy of "Knitting from the Top" by the amazing Barbara Walker, and lo and behold, I had "un-vented" her method. Oh, well! Nice to know it works! ;)

Next: short-rowed sleeves for people who hate sewing pieces together.

Now about that shawl....

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that sweater! Did you take any pictures of the collar?

8:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow that looks nice, what size circs are you using? I'll check back to see what/how in the heck short row sleeves work. Short row heels I understand :) Nice work -

Adam

9:20 PM  
Blogger AR said...

You're sweater is going to be fabulous! I love the color. :)

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There I was about to tell you to check out the Barbara Walker book...it really does work too! Yeah for ORANGE!

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sweater color is gorgeous. I can't wait to see the whole thing!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Sheila E said...

Your orange sweater is going to be absolutely beautiful Rosemary. Will you post a photo when you get it done ...for all to see!!

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely amazing! What a beautiful pattern, and I so love the colour of the yarn you're using! Like you, I absolutely detest sewing knitted garments together - so what could be better than knitting in the round? ;)

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home