24 January 2007

The Gate

Several people have written and asked about the gate in Venice that inspired my Venezia napkin rings pattern in Knitty. To be honest, all I knew was that someone had told me it sounded like the gate to the Guggenheim Collection. I had googled and googled but was never able to find a picture. Then Diana wrote to me and said that it sounded like the Peggy Guggenheim Collection gate. She sent a picture. Yes! That was it! So with my new found information, I googled again and found this. Scroll down a few reviews and you will see a picture of the full gate. Then Diana was kind enough to allow me to use pictures she and her husband had taken on a trip to Venice! They show close-up views:




Isn't it amazing? You should see it in person. It is breathtaking. I told you those napkin rings were a (very, very) small homage! Thank you so much, Diana, for letting me use these!

I really wanted to thank everyone who took the trouble to write and talk about the gate. My mother (we took the trip together) and I never knew exactly where it led. I almost dialed her number in excitement before I realized that she is gone now; she died in 2005. It was wonderful being able to share it with those of you who know and love it as well. I felt like she was back for a small moment in time, and was just as she had been on that trip.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, wow. That's gorgeous!

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is amazing! I LOVE Venice...

That gate would be a cool motif for a pendant. Hmm.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, wow. That's stunning. What a wonderful job you did capturing that image with the beaded rings!

8:14 PM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Just amazing! The napkin rings definitely catch the essence of the gate!!

2:49 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

It's really cool how we are surrounded by inspiration. I love the colored glass in the gate. I collect sea glass and it reminds me of that.

5:58 PM  
Blogger AR said...

That is amazing. Just gorgeous.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(got here thru a blog link!) You do GORGEOUS work! Scrolling thru your archives, it's refreshing to see an artist's passion turned to reality - one day I'll be in one of the bay area stores and have an aha! moment when I get to see your work in person :) Terry in SF

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home