Now Playing: Reruns
Here's the Cable Gone Wrong:
I took just the cable section off the needle, put point protectors on the circular needles I had been using to knit Rogue and ripped it down below the mis-crossed portion:
Then using dpns, I knit the cable portion back up, following the chart. After a little smoothing and pulling the stitches into place, it looked great! The wrong was righted. Woo!
The first picture shows the color of the sweater more accurately. I was using Elann's Peruvian Highland wool in chunky weight (I think it is discontinued now) and it knit up to a perfect aran gauge for me.
Post mortem: if I were to do this sweater again, I would knit the hem facing in a lighter weight yarn. It is a bit too heavy for my taste, perhaps only because I used a heavier weight yarn than specified. There also appeared to be one error in the cable instructions in my copy of the pattern. When you are creating the base of the cable, the instructions read: "on RS, knit into the front and back of st, picking up the vertical strand running downwards between these two stitches just made, twist and knit into this picked-up strand: 3 knit sts made from 1 st." However, in order to create that vertical strand that runs between the two stitches, it was necessary for me to knit into the back and then front of the stitch rather than the other way around. Otherwise, nice pattern and beautifully written! But y'all know that already. :)