15 October 2006

Now Playing: Reruns

It's been one two of those weeks where I've been running around like a crazy person. And I've been a bad, bad blogger. *hanging head* So while I get myself together, I thought everyone might like to see how I fix Cables Gone Wrong. The model is Rogue, which has since been completed, but was, for awhile, cursed. I'm sure of it. For various reasons, mostly my own inattention, I ripped it out several times, and then decided on a different yarn. So I wasn't about to rip it again when I found that I hadn't been paying attention again and mis-crossed the cables. *sigh*

Here's the Cable Gone Wrong:


I took just the cable section off the needle, put point protectors on the circular needles I had been using to knit Rogue and ripped it down below the mis-crossed portion:


Then using dpns, I knit the cable portion back up, following the chart. After a little smoothing and pulling the stitches into place, it looked great! The wrong was righted. Woo!


The first picture shows the color of the sweater more accurately. I was using Elann's Peruvian Highland wool in chunky weight (I think it is discontinued now) and it knit up to a perfect aran gauge for me.

Post mortem: if I were to do this sweater again, I would knit the hem facing in a lighter weight yarn. It is a bit too heavy for my taste, perhaps only because I used a heavier weight yarn than specified. There also appeared to be one error in the cable instructions in my copy of the pattern. When you are creating the base of the cable, the instructions read: "on RS, knit into the front and back of st, picking up the vertical strand running downwards between these two stitches just made, twist and knit into this picked-up strand: 3 knit sts made from 1 st." However, in order to create that vertical strand that runs between the two stitches, it was necessary for me to knit into the back and then front of the stitch rather than the other way around. Otherwise, nice pattern and beautifully written! But y'all know that already. :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently took my mentee in hand and walked her through ripping down and reknitting cables. Now she thinks I'm magic. :-) Nice pics of the process! I'm bookmarking it for future lessons. And, yes, you are a naughty blogger for leaving us hanging for so long. And you can count on us to poke you when you're quiet too long.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Hey Rosemary -- I just bought that pattern yesterday. Now I just have to dif thru the stash. Did you have trouble printing the pattern? It locked up my computer at page 13 and then I had a bit of a mess. But all is well now.
I know you have been a busy, busy person. Will try calling you tomorrow (Monday).

Holly

11:07 PM  
Blogger AR said...

Ooh! Great job!

9:36 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

love the color!
thanks for the new post, i was getting tired of looking at that chicken ;-)

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the comment, i am not sure what is with my blog, it looks fine to me! i think you may have just inspired me to get cracking on my own rogue. if i ever get home that is.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home