04 September 2006

Helloooooo out there!

Well, here I am. Finally jumping into the blogging fray. WooHoo!

It was a sobering day here today. One of those days that makes you realize that maybe, just maybe, you aren't as smart as you think you are. There we were at lunch. My husband and I sitting at the table with our sons, 7 and 3. I was trying to think of a name for my new blog. "It has to be hip, trendy and cool" says husband, "perhaps something with the name Rosemint (my graphic design and illustration studio)." Silly names ensue
d, ending with one of my terrible puns (it's a sickness; I can't help myself). Son #1 says more silly things. I try to explain why they aren't puns. Son #2 then says merry-go-round. I joke a little with him. Then he says "rosemary-go-round!" Ulp. I've been upstaged, outsmarted and out-punned by a three year old. A. Three. Year. Old.

*sigh*

I think I'll begin with some knitting content today
, since it *is* Labor Day and I'm really not supposed to be working, right? Hee. I just finished a lace washcloth. Now, I have never really wanted to knit washcloths. I buy them, along with my socks (another story). But I am now duly chastened and singing the praises of knitted washcloths. It was a great little project and I learned a new cast-off, which I love. But most importantly, I think it will be a really perfect project to work on for the beginning lace class I'll be teaching at my lys. The first time I taught this class, I used the Diamond Fantasy Shawl by Sivia Harding. I love this shawl, but I think it's just too much for a beginning lace class, as it isn't likely that anyone will finish by the end of a two session class. (duh) Live and learn, eh? These little washcloths are just the perfect lace swatch size, they are quick (if you are paying attention, which I, sadly, was not), and they are usable. Most excellent. :)

So here was my progress yesterday morning before I fell asleep with my eyes open while knitting:

You may notice the funky little thing in the center. That's a modified "belly button" start, by Rosemarie, modified (I crochet it instead of knit it) by moi. It is the best way to start circular lace that I have ever seen. Translation: it is easy to do the first time you try it. I am lazy, you see.


Here's what it looks like up close and personal:











After you have gotten several rows in, or when
you finish, you thread the tail of yarn through the stitches in the center thus:











cut the stitches of the "belly button":











and you have a hole in the center:












which you then pull closed:












And there you have it. :) This is cotton, so when I have woven in the ends, I will sew them down with some sewing thread and a sewing needle. I haven't found a way I like better to keep the ends from un-weaving themselves with use.


And now, behold the picot cast-off:











Is it not wonderful? I completely {heart} this cast-off.

Next entry: the cast-on for the soap sack. I need to get some purple thread to finish tacking down the ends on the washcloth before I block it.

So now I'm going to bend my own labor day rule and show a couple of new shawl and sweater pins:























They aren't up on my site yet, but they will be soon. And I'll also be having a one year anniversary sale soon. I still can't believe it's been that long!

And now for the burning question: shall I sell shawl pin kits?

Tune in tomorrow (or the next day) for the continuing saga!

Labels: ,

28 Comments:

Blogger Wood 'n' Soul said...

Wow! Totally and completely awesome!! You rock grrl!

6:17 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

yeah! rosemary has a blog!
and it looks more like a nipple than a belly button to me ;-0

6:29 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Love the purple! Welcome to the blogging world. I love the name.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Great name and I loves the new pins!

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's one smart AND adorable 3 year old. Don't diss my boy Remy. I love the new pins. Can you make a labrador retriever pin? And how did you do the picot cast off on the warshcloth?

6:37 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Welcome to the blogosphere.
The new pins are so whimsical. :)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

Thanks everyone for the great welcome! :)

9:08 PM  
Blogger Janis said...

Yay Rosemary!
Your own blog and I LOVE the name. Outsmarted by the kid. Get used to it. It is the story of my life :--) I love seeing what you are doing and are so glad that you are here!!!!

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I love keeping in touch this way.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rosemary, the blog looks terrific. I really like the two new pins, too - be sure to let us know when they're on the site! Welcome. :-) -- Sam

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Rosemary! {pops cork on champagne} New blog, adorable new pins and conclusive proof that the littlest cowboy got mommy's superior pun gene.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Becka said...

WTG! Welcome to blogdom!

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great start for you! And, think how well you've trained this 3 year old and how talented he is and how advanced in his thinking patterns! Love your new pins! How about a sheep!?!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Roemary! Glad you took the plunge.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Rosemary! Great blog name. I've been lurking at your pin site for ages drooling over them - I didn't realize you were in Sonoma Co. :) I'm in Napa (waving hello!)

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Great start. Love the new pins too.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the name of your new blog. It is just great. I also love your new Kitty shawl pin. The fashener 'tail' is perfect.

Welcome to the Blog-a-sphere! I think you will enjoy this adventure.

12:51 PM  
Blogger sillyewe said...

Yea, Rosemary! I am so happy that you finally took the plunge and the rest of us can now see your work whenever we want...not that I minded endlessly pestering you for info!

:0)

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray, another foray out of da closet and into the world of electronic lip flapping. :o) I love the new pins and my word, why and I not surprised that it was Remy that made the cool name appear. Sometimes they can just see things without the skin, those kiddles.
Congrats on the half page of whooptidoo in Ram Wools. Way to make it happen, kid. :o)

2:17 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Welcome!

2:43 PM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

Congratulations Rosemary! Aren't three year olds grand :) Enjoy!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Alliesw said...

Wow, I wish I could take your beginning lace class! And your shawl pins are gorgeous. Welcome to blogland...

7:43 PM  
Blogger jenknits said...

Three year olds come up with the best names ;-) My son was 3 when he named his sister.

8:12 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Hello! I really love that cat pin! I love that your 3 year old named your blog. I will need to come back here someday and try that caston, I once tried to knit something circular and couldn't get off the ground.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Congratulations on your new blog. You may have been outsmarted by a three year old, but he was YOUR three year old, so you get to take some credit. As well as knowing a good thing when you hear it!

2:23 PM  
Blogger AR said...

Welcome to the blogiverse! Great pins and knitting, too!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Rosemarie Buchanan said...

Rosemary! Wow ... cool belly button ... heheh. Welcome to the world of blogging. Now at least I have an idea of what you look like.
I like the crochet start for the belly button. Too bad I hate crocheting so much ... haha. Thanks for posting the link to my blog for it, too. I'm thrilled to see so many people checking it out.
Soooo ... let's see more pictures of your lace knitting!

All the best,
Rosemarie Buchanan
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

8:20 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

It was fun to read your first Blog :-) You've grown in blogging as well! Hugs.

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home