20 September 2006

Fuzzy stuff

Hello, my name is Rosemary and I am an addict. I'm talking about the good stuff. Affectionately known to my fellow addicts and me as Kracksilk Haze. Once you try it, you will never go back to knitting with plain mohair and nylon. It only takes once and you're hooked, baby! And this woman is dangerous. Beware! She'll suck you in before you know it!

During my last bender, I finished Birch in "blushes" KSH, knit for a friend in need of a big hug. Here's the gratuitous cheesecake shot:

















*happy sigh*

Now I want to draw your attention to the size of the above shawl as opposed to the size of my first Birch (in "majestic"):



















Um. It might be a little bigger. Perhaps even a good foot or more. Gauge problem, ya think? Yikes! The blushes shawl took four balls, the majestic, only three. It's just as well. My friend is almost six feet. Perhaps it was my subconscious talking.

I blocked her shawl the night before I was to have lunch with her, left it to dry over night, and then took the pins and blocking wires out the next morning. I was going to give it to her unwrapped, but then I remembered a cool little article (perhaps it was in Knitty?), talking about how one should always wrap hand made gifts nicely so that people would appreciate them more. So I went foraging and found a nice bag. But no tissue paper. What to do what to do what to do?????? And then...inspiration! A sheet of gold paper lying about after mocking up a project:














became this:














Oooooh! Festive! as one of my local knitting buddies would say. *g* And here we have it:














And the funny thing is, when she saw the package, she gasped and said "you finished it!" She was all teary. She didn't care about the wrapping at all. She just loved the shawl. :)

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger AR said...

The shawl is beautiful. Your friend is so lucky. The package was very cute, too. I like the wrap it up idea. I'll have to remember that.

5:26 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

you are so sweet :-)
good thing i snagged 4 skeins of majestic, for i am a cracksilk virgin ;-)

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That shawl is absolute perfection on a stick. Sigh. You are a bad, bad influence. Now I have to go foraging in the yarn annex. I know I have a bag of Blushes out there somewhere. Oh, and the wrapping *totally* rocks. :-)

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 3 balls of marmalade that need to be a birch. Need. to.

Seeing yours makes me want to push that project up the queue. I love KSH.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Ahhhhh :) Gorgeous shawl and superb wrapping.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shawls are beautiful. I have some old KSH floating around somewhere. I would like to be knitting lace right now too. Love the Blushes. Hey, the pin design is wonderful Rosemary. You are so very talented.

The gift wrap is great.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Alliesw said...

Oh, what a lucky friend--the shawl is gorgeous, and so is your package! (Someday, I am going to get better at packaging...)

8:15 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

What a beautiful wrapping job and even more beautiful gift....

I want to do a shawl like that for my sister's wedding in July next year....definatly have to think about doing that for her...she'd love it.

5:04 PM  
Blogger MRS MJW said...

You are so talented.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home