16 October 2009

Enchanting

Janel Laidman's new book, The Enchanted Sole, is here!

I just got my copy in the mail, and am one of several bloggers lucky to be participating in a virtual tour.

First of all, if you liked her first book, The Eclectic Sole, you will love this one even more. With 20 sock patterns based on legends, myths and fairy tales, this book has a pattern for everyone! I particularly loved the colorwork patterns - Janel is a master of painting with yarn - so I will concentrate on those.

My very favorite pattern? It's a toss up between Mirror Mirror and Firebird, although Tree of Life gives the other two a good run for their money! Both Mirror Mirror

and Firebird

are mismatched and I love that! Firebird has a particularly inventive chart. Look at the feathers! Fabulous.

Then there's the gorgeous Tree of Life

and the Labyrinth!

Even though it's not colorwork, Selkie also drew me in.

I'm just blown away by the beautiful job that Janel did on this book. I was lucky enough to hang out with her and Knitspot Anne at TNNA last January, and we talked into the wee hours about publishing and self-publishing in particular. It's so much work, and she did such an amazing job! Well done, Janel. You inspire me! :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the photos are great, and the patterns are stunning!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Those socks are truly works of art!

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW. Those are too gorgeous!

4:23 PM  
Blogger ikkinlala said...

They're such gorgeous patterns! I think I'll have to practice with some simpler colorwork first, though.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Dr. Steph said...

I saw this book at Rhinebeck. It's awesome. Though I've never knit a colourwork sock before...

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Otter (SkyNorth on Ravelry) said...

WOW!!!!
I never thought to have socks which are there for any other reason than keeping your feet warm. I do like knitting nice socks, but these are something else entirely!!

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home