25 April 2007

Sweet Nothing

I feel terrible that it has taken me so long to get this pattern up, but here it is finally, just in time to celebrate spring and summer! If you have any questions about it or corrections, please let me know. If you would like tech help, come on over and join my baublesnbeads group at Yahoo, and ask away! Enjoy! :)

SWEET NOTHING
a knitted wire and bead choker by Rosemary Hill


FINISHED MEASUREMENTS/GAUGE
Measurements are taken after pulling fabric into shape; exact gauge is not critical for this project as the finished fabric will be stretched to measurements given. Measurements below are for a piece three stitches in width and 56 rows in length.

Width: 2 cm/almost 1 inch
Length: 30 cm/approx. 11.75 inches

MATERIALS
Beading wire, 34 gauge [24 yards/22m per spool]; silver: one spool

1 set 4mm/US #6 needles Bamboo or birch are recommended, and you may find it easier to use two double-point needles rather than long straight needles.
6mm glass beads: 56 (buy a few extras in case you drop some)
size 11 seed beads: 280 (buy extra!)
12mm by 6mm glass teardrop beads: 2
organza ribbon - 12 mm/0.5 in. wide: 1.22 meters/1 yd + 1 ft (provides for a little extra)
super glue (for ribbon ends)

PATTERN NOTES
I used two double pointed bamboo needles because they are short and not very slick, and I found it very easy to manipulate the wire. I had no problems losing stitches. You can use any needles you like, though.

Beads are placed at the end of each row. To place the beads, knit the last stitch of the row, turn the work and then slide beads up the wire until they rest against the last stitch worked. Start the next row.

To make working with the beads and wire easier, you can place the spool of wire into a small ziplock bag, approximately 2 x 3 inches and close the top around the wire. Do not use a larger bag, as this will encourage the wire to kink.

Beads will slip around on wire when piece is finished. If you want to prevent this (I didn't), grasp the beaded loop and give the wire a twist.

PATTERN
Pre-string beads on wire in this pattern: *5 seed beads, 1 6mm bead* repeat between *s until all beads are strung.

Piece is knit in garter stitch (knit every row).

Using the Backward Loop technique, cast on 3 sts. Turn and knit one row. *Turn work. Slide 5 seed beads and 1 6mm bead into place against last stitch worked. Knit row.* Repeat between *s until you have knitted 56 rows. At this point, the fabric will probably be shorter and wider than specified. Stretch it to given measurements and check that it is the proper length. If you are happy with the results, bind off and cut the wire. Weave in wire ends, being careful to wrap the ends around themselves and trim close.

FINISHING
Stretch rectangle to proper dimensions, if you have not already done so. Weave ribbon through center stitch of piece down entire length of choker. Try choker on, tying the ribbon to secure. Cut ribbon to desired length, plus 3 inches on each end (used to work easily when tying knots below teardrop beads). Remove choker and string one teardrop shaped bead on each end. Secure each bead with a knot in the end of ribbon. Trim ribbon close to knot and saturate with super glue or other fray check.

The fine print: Copyright 2007 Rosemary Hill. This pattern is for personal use only and may not be sold or knit for profit. Thank you and enjoy!

Labels: , , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Joanne said...

Absolutely stunning, Rosemary. Wow.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't think of a more charming sweet nothing. It's lovely.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Zenknitter LesleyD said...

It is awesome!! I love it!

1:27 PM  
Blogger lv2knit said...

Can't wait to make one!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

OHHHHHH! I want. lol

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my question: Will you make one for me?

Hee.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Wow. I just found you site and your jewelery is beautiful!

4:38 PM  
Blogger N. Maria said...

I don't think I've ever seen anything more beautiful! I'll be looking at making one for myself when I get back after the weekend. The colors are exquisite and the ribbon adds class.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen a lot of knitted wire jewelry and I never really cared for them... But this is the coolest!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Gorgeous! Now I just need to build up the courage to knit with beads and wire!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Becka said...

Gorgeous, my friend! And my fave colors! Ya know, my anniversary is next month ;)
You hit this one out of the park...as usual!
love, love!!!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Oh my, another beautiful piece! You're just awesome.

9:13 PM  
Blogger lv2knit said...

I made Tokyo, too! Are we twins separated at birth?

9:20 AM  
Blogger Sheknits said...

This chocker is sooooo pretty. I wonder if it is quite fragile and you always have to bend it into shape? Thanks for sharing the pattern you are awesome.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great pattern... thank you! I found some fantastic octagonal 6mm victorian looking beads at Earth Faire and bought them today to make your beautiful neckpiece... this is such a treat!

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, this is so amazingly beautiful - so fragile and delicate, stunning indeed! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern - I highly doubt that I'll ever be able to make something so beautiful, but it's certainly good to know there's a pattern if I'd ever dare to give it a try! You're doing the most amazing work!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Gorgeous!

I really like the color combination you chose for the beads, Rosemary!

I am so tempted by your bead knitting patterns. I suppose I'd better see if HollyO is up for another trip to Shipwreck Beads with me after my vacation. That place is too overwhelming for me to go alone!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Sheila E said...

BEE U T Full Rosemary! You are definitely cooking with gas! No stopping you now ;)

8:48 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

This is gorgeous! Just my colors! :)

9:47 AM  
Blogger Vivian said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love the photography of your jewelry, just lovely!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Gorgeous!! As this one doesn't involve 1500 seed beads, maybe I can handle it (LOL!) Seriously, you ought to be selling these patterns, not giving them away. I was all ready to buy it and then saw it was FREE. Your stuff is really good.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. You're pushing out the limits of what I thought was possible, and I like that. Thank you!

Giulia
KnitFree
Pebbledashed

1:38 PM  
Blogger Andreapgn said...

I'm going to a wedding where I'm forced to wear a dress I'm not picking myself (bridesmaid thing arrrh).

I think I'll knit myself on of these and feel I have something that says "ME".

Thanks!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Kristina Kurniawati Santoso said...

I want to make it!
Thanks Rosemary, your design is creative and excellent, totally beautiful. Love it so much!

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home